Wednesday, September 28, 2005

tonight's the night...

One of my favorite things about working on BTJ is hearing peoples' stories about when, where, and how they discovered music.

Most of those stories begin with "I had an older sister who was into records" or "My cousin came to visit and brought his 45s." It's safe to say that, in 99% of the stories I've heard, there's some friend, family member, or neighbor kid who plays a key role. And everyone can always remember the details of that day with perfect clarity.

I took great pleasure in capturing those stories on film, where they will live on until the end of time.

And now I'm in a very unique and wonderful position...

Because, as I've spent time over the past several months listening to my friends recount their stories of rock and roll discoveries and transformations, I've been able to watch my nine year-old daughter living those stories in real time. And due to my experience with BTJ, I'm able to recognize those moments as they happen.

Tonight, when I take her to see her idols Green Day at the Coliseum, I'll know that I am playing a part in what will become a treasured rock memory.

And years from now, when she's sitting under searing lights in some dive bar, being interviewed by hack filmmakers for a documentary, and they ask her about her first concert, she'll reply, "My first concert was Avril Lavigne. And that was awesome. But the one that really blew my mind was Green Day. And my mom took me to both."

Aww.

Sniff.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Geez, you're, like, the coolest mom ever. My mom and dad took me to Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers and the Oak Ridge Boys...I think as a punishment.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

My mom took me to Conway Twitty. Heh.

But, she also took me to the Monkees in '86, which was my first big stadium show. She was pretty rad.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom stood in line by herself to buy me and my friends ZZ Top tickets. And she went to Bob Seger with me when I was in high school because none of my friends were into Seger. AND, when I was 17, she scored Springsteen tickets from her friend, and she and I road tripped to Tacoma to see the show. I have high standards to live up to in the cool mom department. On my side though: my daugher could sing the whole first verse of "Me and Bobby McGee" at 2 and a half, had her own Rolling Stones cassette at 3, and now, at 10 has asked for an AC DC cd for Christmas. I must be doing something right.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, Joni, how was Green Day? Did your daughter love it?

9:44 AM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

It was a great night, and thanks to Janice's excellent advice, we were able to skirt most of the mad rush of people and secure fantastic seats. But my daughter had a great time, and the only thing that motivated her to go to school today despite her exhaustion was so she could brag to everyone about it. heh.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jamster,

this is your bro dj skraps lrac!
welcome to planet mayhem, this is my show, my show, mine show.
voice sounds altered, but, good.
chase misprinted lies, face the path of time, and yet i fight, yet i fight this battle all alone, no one to cry to, no place to call home.
RIP LAynLEY
anyways, i will see you in the future, your future. always remeber HAMF - STRONGER THAN TREES
sons of the true gods, fond of man taking their wives to make fleshly children, tearing their ways through virgin wombs, damned creation now your perfect world is DOOOOOOOOOMed.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home