Sunday, September 18, 2005

why it's been so dull around here lately

I was having a conversation one day with my hacker brother, and I told him that I wanted to write a movie about hackers some day. "It'll never sell," he told me. I asked him why. He said that some pasty guy chugging Mt. Dew and sitting in front of a computer tapping away for hours is not entertaining, sexy, or interesting to anyone anywhere. "That's why movies with computer hacking are bullshit," he said, "with those totally flashy interfaces and hot girls and stuff... because the reality is so boring to look at."

Well, the same could be said for video editing. I haven't written lately about what I've been doing because it's boring as hell. I point. I click. Occasionally, I drag. It's very unsexy. I wish I had something interesting to report, but I just don't. But I'm still here, and still slaving away.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Oh, don't you believe everything your bro says. The pointing and clicking may be kind of dull, but the dragging is VERY sexy.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

You just almost made me shoot coffee outta my nose.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhh.. Hackers... yeah, fun movie to watch sure.. but so unrealistic it's almost comical. All the goofy techno stuff aside.. trust me, there are exactly ZERO real hackers out there who look anything like Angelina Jolie.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick looks as though Don Knotts is auditioning for Willie Wonka...... But I mean that in a "Kool" way you know.....

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, there was an attempt at making hacking look sleek, chic and sexy. A scene in "Swordfish" showed Hugh Jackman trying to decrypt something (I think). All the while, the filmmakers used quick edits, side-scrolling, pan shots, and a thumping rock soundrack for the display. Then there were the pretty shapes on three aerodynamic monitors...or was it four? I forget.

Anyway, while the ADD-edits and music were swirling by at a mile a minute, good ol' Hugh is grunting "YES, YES, YES!", as if he were having a keyboard-related orgasm.

Most disturbing.

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home