Monday, August 29, 2005

When Worlds Collide

Proof that you should never say never:

A few days back, I caught the new creature flick The Cave, and, like a true obsessive-compulsive film geek, stayed to watch every frame of the closing credits. As terms like "gaffer" and "best boy" scrolled past, the unmistakable sound of prog-metal came pouring out of the speakers.

Actually, galloped out of the speakers was more like it. Like all progressive rock -especially the harder-edged stuff- this music suddenly filled my head with visions of sword-clutching valkyries, mist-covered battlefields, and Nordic women on horseback. You could practically hear the sound of fifteen-sided dice hitting mom's dining room table.

The song was overwrought, pretentious, and melodramatic to the point of comedy, except that -and here's the rub- I actually kind of liked it. In fact, "liked it" is a bit of an understatement. Perhaps it was the lateness of the hour, or its association with a fairly decent horror film, or some sort of blood sugar imbalance, but the song sounded fucking great. It had all the best elements of metal -a pounding, hammering relentlessness- topped by a swirling, Celtic guitar line, all overlaid with lush, wailing female vocals. It was like some really, hellishly-rockin' version of Riverdance.

Anyway, watching 'til the end, I discovered that the song, "Nemo", was by Finnish superstars Nightwish, and, -once I was able to flush images of a Pixar clownfish out of my head- I flashed back to the very first meeting Joni and I had with BtJ musical director Chris. Over coffee at My Father's Place, we had drilled him mercilessly about his background and musical taste, culminating in a listing of his five favorite musical acts.

His numero uno? Nightwish.

My thoughts on prog-rock are well known, and, the rare exception aside, I've found precious little in that genre to be inspiring or captivating. Nothing personal---it just ain't me. All of which makes it even more interesting, and, in a way, heartening, that I dug the tune so much. That I can discover, in the unlikliest of places and genres, a new song to love.....well, that's what Bigger than Jesus is all about.

I plan to hunt down a Nightwish CD the next time I'm out. I'll file it right next to Tommy Tutone...and I mean that in a good way.

10 Comments:

Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

The one drawback of being the one non-metal participant (and also the only girl)? No one's ever asked me about my top five musical acts. Nor has anyone ever asked me about my top five movies. Or my thoughts or opinions about anything, really. Ever.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joni, it's your blog isn't it? Post your top fives, although you will probably be secretly ridicluled. Take comfort in the fact that none of us will laugh at you (directly anyway).

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mind you I say that after finding out what happens when you divulge the deepest darkest secret feelings about who the best Bond was. Man these guys are a tough crowd. DALTON WAS THE MEANEST BADDEST F'ING BOND EVER!!!!!

3:13 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

Was it not you who just this morning sent me an email stating that "Mule Variations" was Tom Waits' best since "Swordfish"? So you can just fuck right off, mister.

(I'll take "Heart of Saturday Night" myself)

3:14 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

I saw him in Eugene a few years ago. Best. Concert. EVER.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So would it be OK for me to proclaim my complete admiration for the musical art form that is Lindsy Lohan?

Oh and I think George was a better Bond than Moore. Moore was easily the worst Bond, despite the fact that he was Flemmings first choice (ironically Moore was in much the same boat that Brosnan was in, he couldn't get out of his contract with "The Saint", so they went with their 'second' choice, Connery). As a result we got the two best Bonds, DALTON and then Connery.

But alas this is about Joni's best ofs, which we have yet to hear......

4:31 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

Eh, if you bastards don't know by now, I'm not going to tell you.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

You people are all missing the boat. You need to check out the first 15 Hawkwind albums. Now there's some big rawk.

I grew up on Roger Moore and thought he was the shit, then I took a serious look at Connery and realized he was the man. Moore was a little to pretty (though now he resembles the queen a little to closely), and Connery played the tough guy better than him or any of the others. After all of the gadgets and clever ways to get chicks in bed, Bond has to be a badass.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

...that should be "too" pretty. Freakin' retarded fingers.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nightwish f'in' rocks. But Winger is the best band ever. I'm sure both Chris and I have had more than enough music theory education to defend their honor, and others', to the death.
So much great metal, so little time.

bd

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home