Wednesday, September 07, 2005

a welcome distraction

Not so much for the metal crowd, but for the rest of y'all...

Here are some songs by really cool local artists you've probably never heard before. Some are friends of mine; some are random guys who sent me CDs back when I was writing local music reviews.

These are high-quality MP3s, so you'll want to do the ol' right-click-save and then be patient.

Qwee - Plastic Dreams
Qwee is a friend of mine who's put out two records over the past several years. He very rarely plays live, and I don't even think his last record is available for purchase anywhere which is a damn shame cause it's fantastic. This song, from his first, self-titled CD, is particulary "Beatlesesque" and one of my favorites. Though his voice isn't for everyone (I adore it), his songwriting and arrangements are undeniably fabulous.

Pangs - Sad Pastime
These guys are weird, man. I've never met them nor seen them live, but their CD "Stalemates and Sad Pastimes" is wonderfully strange and has the sound of a thing that's barely holding itself together. Like it shouldn't work, but somehow it does. (I once described this band as "brainy cock rock" in a review.) On the web at http://www.pdxbands.com/pangs/PangsNews.htm

Blue Skies for Black Hearts - Truth and Love
These guys I know nothing about, beyond the fact that they've got the longest name on earth and their website will give you seizures. Nevertheless, this song is off a 12-track CD of stylishly produced and "challenging" nerd music, entitled "This Black Heart is Gonna Break".

The Dandy Warhols - Get Off
For Chris, because he's never heard them. This song makes me lose my mind.

and of course...

Ken DeRouchie Band - In My Arms
An old-school, R&B, Motown-style ballad by my fabulously talented husband that is currently entering the fourth round of competition at GarageBand.com with a perfect 5.0 review rating. Though it was recorded several years ago, it's an extraordinary song that's finally getting its props. And I'm not just saying that because he beats me if I don't.




and finally...

a little pop gem by a mystery singer who will probably kill me for this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

Great stuff from Ken and the KDB; this is what I'll play when the kids say, "Uncle Rick, tell me again about when R&B was GOOD."

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home