Thursday, June 23, 2005

sentimental geek...

On October 2nd, 2004, Rick and I went to Los Angeles to attend a screening of our short film "Remote Control" at a film festival. While killing time on the corner of Beverly and Fairfax, one of us (I'm not sure who) brought up "Bigger Than Jesus." At some point in that twelve hour period, the decision was made to perform it the following summer and film it once and for all.

Two days later I sent Rick the following email:

I didn't realize until today how I'd been damming up all the BtJ stuff inside my head until we got through RC. I'm so excited about reviving it. Let's do it every year, just for fun, until there's no one left who wants to see it. Until it's just you doing it in my living room for my amusement.

So, as you settle into your traditional post-event isolation, gather up your BtJ thoughts and I'll expect to hear from you within the usual 7 to 9 day period.


I gave him about a week to recover from the "Remote Control" experience before I started prodding him to do BtJ again. That was in October. We've been working on this version of BtJ for eight months.

Eight months, man. You didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

And in a few days, it'll all be over.

But this stage show is just phase one of a multi-phase, summer-long endeavor to create one seriously bad-ass DVD. It's tempting to spill the beans about all the special features and documentaries that will be included on the DVD, but I'll resist the urge to spoil the surprise for everyone.

I don't know if I'll have time to post again between now and show time. If I don't, I'd like to take this opportunity to say that Nate, Sigfried, Aaron, and all the drama nerds I've worked with in the past on BtJ and RC -- I love working with these guys and I'm so glad to have the chance to do it again. They're the only ones I can trust in this world of Mr. Chins.

And all the new cast and crew have proven themselves to be invaluable additions to the cadre and I would and will work with them again any day.

And the band and singers ... I've been around musicians for all of my adult life, and I know how they are (flaky, drunk, unreliable, idiotic) ... and these guys are all exceptions to the rules. It's unreal to me how lucky I've been in regards to the musicians and singers, who've given up two days a week for months now ... and for no compensation. Add to that the fact that they're all stunningly talented, and I wonder what I did to deserve them.

And Music Director Chris ... he is heaven-sent. His talent, dedication, attention to detail, and scowl are priceless. Absolutely heaven-sent.

Forgive this public display of affection, but I knew that in the upcoming blur of chaos and panic, I would lose the chance to say any of this. And the odds are good that Chris will piss me off so bad in some way or another this weekend that I won't feel that way about him anymore.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joni,
I did a little Meth last monday (it was some killer shit) Anyway, no matter how much alcohol I drank, I didn't feel drunk, but the cop thought I did, so he took me to jail. He pulled me over because I was "weaving" in and out of traffic. It wasn't my fault, I was making out with a girl while I was driving. she said she was 18, but I guess she was much younger.
Her dad came to the station to pick her up and punched me right in the mouth. When he hit me it knocked out both of my front teeth so now I have a little whistle. I will be in Jail till Monday, unless someone can come up with the bail. They said the bail was 50,000, but I only need 10 percent of that, so that should be easy. once I get out I will be in walking distance to PSU, so.....
I will see you there!
I am so excited!
ps. I went to Jail with a shirt that say's "F#$% YOU!" in hot pink lettering. Will that be distracting to the show?
Just Kidding

4:03 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

Dude that story was so HOT!

:-p

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home