Monday, June 13, 2005

A Praise Chorus

Well, here we are...less than two weeks from the whole shebang.

Lately, the record occupying the most time in my (virtual) CD player is Jim Steinman's Bad for Good.

Known primarily as the songwriter behind Bat out of Hell, Steinman possesses what must be called a truly original compositional style...so much so that his songs leap off the radio, no matter who is performing them. "Making Love Out of Nothing at All", "It's All Coming Back to Me Now", "Total Eclipse of the Heart", "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)"...the list goes on.

After a falling out with Mr. Loaf, Steinman tried his own hand at making an album, and though the result fell short of commercial success (his voice just isn't powerful enough to carry his own constructions sometimes), it's a great listen for anyone who appreciates his unique view of rock and roll glory.

Which brings me back to my original point---as we draw near to the performance, I'm listening more and more to songs about rock and roll...songs which celebrate the power of metallic musical myth.

What are your favorite lyrics about music itself?

I'll start:

Think of how we'd lay down together
We'd be listening to the radio so loud and so strong
Every golden nugget coming like a gift of the gods
Someone must have blessed us when he gave us those songs

Once upon a time was a backbeat
Once upon a time all the chords came to life
And the angels had guitars even before they had wings
If you hold onto a chorus you can get through the night

-Jim Steinman, "Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through"

6 Comments:

Blogger 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 said...

There are probably better examples - or even more accurate ones - but, there is something to be said for the FIRST song to come to my mind when thinking about songs about Rock N Roll;

U2 - God Part II - Rattle and Hum.

The whole song is about back-and-forth, hypocritcal stances and what it takes to knock them down and Lennon. Ultimately it's about Lennon. It almost reads like an apology to him at times. " Sorry that your name is getting dragged around - but our world has changed since you left. You deserve better - here's our promise to you;" and then Bono, who really can let it rip, does so.

Near the end of the song it's most sublime lyric is shouted at me - and I loved it from the first time I heard it;

"Don't believe in the 60's
The golden age of pop
You glorify the past
When the future dries up
Heard a singer on the radio late last night
He says he's gonna kick the darkness
'til it bleeds daylight
I...I believe in love"

That song is on one out of every 4 mix CDs I make. I never get tired of hearing it. I never get tired of believing a lot of it as well.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

Man, I need a TV when I got T-Rex??

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one has always touched me:

"You and me, baby, ain't nothing but mammals, so let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channe."

*throws up in mouth*

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*ahem*

"Channel." That should be "channel."

6:21 PM  
Blogger craig said...

"Weary voice that's laughin', on the radio once
We sounded drunk, never made it on
Passin' through and it's late, the station started to fade
Picked another one up in the very next state

On and on and on and on
What side are you on?
On and on and on and on and...

Pretty girl keep growin' up, playin' make-up, wearin' guitar
Growin' old in a bar, ya grow old in a bar
Headed out to San Francisco, definitely not L.A.
Didn't mention your name, didn't mention your name

And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while
I'll try to find you
Left of the dial"

-The Replacements, Left of the Dial

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some great ideas :) Nevermind. Next time.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home