Monday, February 28, 2005

the monomyth can eat me ...

Life is not a series of spectacular events. Life is long. Changes occur slowly and personalities evolve over time. It's incredibly challenging to take a regular person's life and condense it down into a series of spectactular events, especially when that person is only 31 years old and their story is far from over.

You gotta find the big events, rising conflicts, crisis, showdown, and realization. How has the person changed and what have they learned? Add subtext, subplots, and uncover the theme and flesh it out. Make it interesting enough to hold an audience's attention, cinematic enough to fill a big screen ... and do it all in ninety minutes. The shit is hard! I hate Cameron Crowe for doing it so well in 'Almost Famous.' Hate him, hate him, HATE HIM.

So, long story short, I'm no closer to a final script and Rick is starting to despise me. Meanwhile, Chris has left for Europe to promote his new record, Aaron is busy with things, I've got no rehearsal space or performance space, I've got no James Hetfield, I've got no bass player, and the budget is swelling out of control.

I can only hope that, as I travel this Road of Trials in the Initiation phase of my own three-act hero's journey, I will emerge from this adventure with wisdom to bestow on my fellow man.

Or ... at least ... not go insane.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home