Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Joni's Listmania!

So I just had a conversation with Rick about the script. It followed the typical pattern -- I briefly pitch an idea for a scene, and he spends a solid hour telling me why he dislikes it. It's a good system, though. It gives me time to balance my checkbook and paint my nails and even catch a quick nap.

But seriously, the topic of conversation was misfit teenagers in books and movies -- Why some work (ie. are compelling and sympathetic) and why some don't (whiny, dislikable or cloying). Being professional writing thieves, we are constantly looking for successful examples of character studies to "draw inspiration from" and "pay homage to" in our scripts.

So here is a short list of what we've deemed the best-written intelligent-misfit-teenager-coming-of-age stories in film and print. If you've never seen or read or otherwise experienced these works, I highly recommend you do so:

Dawn Wiener - Welcome to the Dollhouse
Max Fischer - Rushmore
William Miller - Almost Famous
Angela Chase - My So-Called Life
Nick Twisp - Youth in Revolt

And I believe that Bobby Hill is the best example of arty, misfit pre-teen currently on television. Furthermore, Bobby and Hank's relationship is the most cleverly crafted father/son dynamic I've ever seen in a sitcom. My favorite exchange between the two came when Bobby told Hank he joined the soccer team -- a sport Hank thinks is for pansies:
Bobby: Dad, why do you hate what you don't understand?
Hank: I don't hate you, Bobby!
Bobby: I was talking about soccer.

5 Comments:

Blogger Todd W. said...

Not to be too cliche, but don't forget the original and best teen misfit of all time, Holden Caulfield. To not recognize him would be both crummy and phony.

Todd the Corpse

2:05 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

See, I would file Holden Caulfield under "vastly overrated." His only redeemable quality was his affection for his sister. Is that enough to counterbalance his incessant, whiny navel-gazing? I dunno . . .

4:49 PM  
Blogger Todd W. said...

Hmm... Vastly overrated? Perhaps. But a powerful enough literary character to affect generations of whiny teens, disaffected youth, and up-and-coming serial killers. Perhaps that is what makes him great: this is the epitome of the overindulged, whiny, "everyone is stupid but me" attitude that every teenager has. "The kids" revel in their own self-importance; adults roll their eyes at it.

Annoying? Sure. But his legacy is still alive and strong. Holden Caulfield still looms large, whether you like him or want to bitch-slap him.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

The overindulged, whiny teenager is not a character I enjoy (unless it's that Bright Eyes kid -- he's dreamy). I hated that sort of character even when I WAS an overindulged, whiny teenager! I was about sixteen when I first read "Catcher in the Rye" and I read it because I thought I had to in order to meet my hip quota, and even then I felt like I'd been galactically duped. I'd take Max Fischer or Donnie Darko over Holden Caulfield any day.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

Oh -- and also -- THANK YOU ryanlpdx for the wonderful compliment!! The Imago was a great time for me, too!! The second friday was the best night, in my opinion, because that's when Aaron and I learned that if we secretly sneak a quad shot into Rick's coffee just before the show, he gives 150%! (and also shaves a good fifteen minutes off the over-all length of the show).

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home