Friday, July 01, 2005

for the writing nerds

So now that it's all over, I thought I'd share some photos of the work that went on in my little writing room for the past several months.

I get a real bang out of diagramming and charting and timelining stories, J. Evans Prichard style. This is why I'm so fond of screenwriting. It's art and craft and science and technique all rolled into one. And there's just something about words and graphs coming together that's just so... oooooh.

(I was totally the kid in school up at the board diagramming everybody's sentences).

Anyway, so here's some snapshots of the dry erase boards in my writing room that we used to jot notes on during our marathon writing sessions at the beginning of the year...


A timeline of Act II



Random notes about off-stage voices



This one is my favorite. This shows the major plot points, following the standard 3-act screenplay format. Outlined are the three story arcs -- Music, Family, and Radio -- and the rock stars that appeared at each major point. We needed Our Hero to bottom out on all three arcs simultaneously, and then redeem himself on all three fronts.

Yeah, I know it's not very sexy and some people think this sort of activity sucks the art and romance out of writing, but it's what I love to do.

And all the while, Rick sat by, patiently indulging me while I wanked off on this crap he couldn't care less about, thinking to himself, "I just wanna jump around with a towel around my neck and pretend I'm the devil!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooohhh man.... seeing the word "denouement" gives me the warm tinglies....

I'm just going to sit here and say it for awhile. It makes my mouth feel neat-o...

1:26 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

And how many other screenwriters can say that their denouement consists of: "Tommy Tutone = other music good, too". Eh? Not many, I tell you what!

(er... maybe there's a reason for that..)

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home