Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Performance space ... the final frontier ...

Finding a venue for this show has proven difficult.

I really don't want to go back to the Imago for reasons I'm too ladylike to say here ... *coughassholescough* ... I mean, I liked the Imago a lot, but I want an elevated stage this time -- like we had at the Clinton Street. I'd rather have the audience looking up than down, and I think it would film better that way as well.

There are plenty of little theaters around town, but they're either too small or run by avant garde drama fags who look at me with disgust when I dare to suggest that I soil their precious arty-farty space with my big dumb rock show.

A concert hall-type venue would work, except that most of them -- such as the Crystal or Bossanova -- echo like big gymnasiums which would make for some shitty recorded sound.

I would love, love, LOVE to do it in a dark, skeezy club, but I don't know how we'd construct our set and rehearse in a space that's used nightly for shows.

I know that somewhere out there is the perfect space for us ... but I'm starting to stress. I'm calling high school auditoriums in Washougal, for pete's sake.

As always, if anyone has any brilliant suggestions, send them along to me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Todd W. said...

Washou-goooooaaaaaaalllllll!!!!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

This is true. A lot of our Clinton Street footage is sort of looking up his nose. Nate, in your professional opinion, do you think it would film better if the stage were *not* raised?

10:13 AM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

I see your point. Well, whatever we end up with, we'll make it work. We'll have fun and make movie.

To answer your question, yes it would be nice if we could avoid getting other cameramen in the shots. Although, for the wide master shot, I guess it's unavoidable. Hmm. Well, we probably won't use that wide master shot a whole lot anyway. But we should probably establish some sort of perimeter across which no cameraman should pass so they stay clear of the wide shot, except for specific dramatic or emotional scenes when we want close-ups, and they can move in and get the shot and quickly scurry back out of the wide shot. Or something.

This is fascinating conversation to everyone, no doubt...

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home