Wednesday, March 30, 2005

how many people here like the sound of rock 'n' roll music?

Spent last evening with Music Director Chris going over all the band's music cues. There are sixteen total. Sixteen! Folks who've seen the show before will recognize many of them. Some are notably missing -- lying dead and lifeless on the cutting room floor. But there are some new additions as well. Many of the clips are longer than before. We've got a live band, why not use them, eh? But I don't think any of them go longer than 60 seconds ... except for the big finale number, which I am unbelievably excited about. I mean ... seriously ... I've lost hours just sitting and thinking about it and grinning like an idiot.

Anyway, I can say for sure that I'm glad I don't have Chris' job. Most of the clips we use in the show are portions of songs taken from the middle. Rarely do we begin at the beginning. When we were using all pre-recorded clips, we were able to do a nice fade in, but you can't really do that with a live band. So among Chris' many thankless tasks is finding starting and stopping points for those cues. The couple of occasions when Rick speaks over the music require all new arrangements and transitions.

I think we'll do alright with the four-piece band. There's a lot we can do in post to make up for the absence of keyboards and so forth. The only song that's really going to suffer is the Ramones' tune. I mean ... re-creating Phil Spector ... ugh. I think we're going to go for a more, uh, garage demo version of that song ...

Okay, enough rambling about things no one cares about .........

7 Comments:

Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

um .... whatcha scheming there, henry thomas?

7:33 PM  
Blogger craig said...

After seeing the show twice, I remember coming away both times thinking it was great, but it could've used more cowbell.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

for the millionth time, it's a goddamn compliment!

scarecrow, will you be coming again? I promise at least 10% more cowbell.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

Surely we could work some cowbell into the Motley Crue or something ... my husband calls the cowbell a "Mallory" in honor of Justina Bateman's stunning performance in the cinematic masterpiece "Satisfaction" so you'll often hear cries of "More Mallory!" coming from the basement during band practice.

Hey Andrew, is it true you can rig explosion-like noises?

11:28 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

Chris knows what song I'm thinking of -- ask him. But don't tell Rick, he'd want every song to end with explosions.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Joni DeRouchie said...

Okay, okay, okay, everyone stop! Now let's be clear about this! We're talking about explosion sounds, NOT actual explosions!

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a wonderin'... have you named all of the vocalists yet? I auditioned but didn't hear back. (not bitter....um... no) I didn't hear anything about it on the show either, but I might have missed it. So who are the lucky ones!? And do us losers (still not bitter) get to see the show?

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home